Clients are often serviced by more than one person, with each team member playing a vital role in the ongoing maintenance of the relationship and financial accounts. Practifi provides a flexible way of capturing these roles within the servicing team and includes three by default: Financial Advisor, Client Service and Compliance. These roles correspond to specialized apps for those team members and grant them access to the records, alerts and insights they need to succeed.
This article outlines the various ways to manage team member role assignments and the ability to customize roles in your Practifi organization.
- Viewing a client's servicing team
- Creating Default Teams
- Mass reassigning Entity Teams
- Tracking Relationships via Business Roles
- Customizing Business Roles
- Using Business Roles
- Using Business Roles in Process Tasks
- Further reading
Viewing a client's servicing team
The Servicing Team section located in the side pane of the client's record page displays the client's servicing team when expanded:
Names, profile pictures and roles appear for each team member assigned to the client within this section. The View All button can be selected to view all servicing team members, which will open a page view displaying all members in the servicing team.
Creating Default Teams
If the advisors at your firm tend to keep the same team across all of their clients, you can define a default team for them that speeds up the setup process for each client. A System Administrator can create these Default Teams within Salesforce Setup.
To create a Default Team:
- Select the Setup cog located in the upper right-hand corner and select Setup from the drop-down menu.
- Use the Quick Find search bar located on the left-hand side to search for "Users."
- Select Users under the User section in the search results.
- In the list of users, select the user's name that you would like to add a Default Team.
- Scroll down on the user profile and locate the Default Entity Team section.
- Select the Add button located in this section.
- Add the related team members by using the User Lookup icon located to the right of the Team Member field.
- Specify the record access through the Entity Access field.
- Read Only - Team members will only be able to view the records owned by the user.
- Read/Write - Team members can view and edit the records owned by the user.
- Please note: This field defines access to the client (Entity) records within your organization. However, this setting will not work unless your firm strictly controls access to records beyond what Practifi does by default.
- In the Team Role column, specify the role the team member has within the Default Team. Options available by default are as follows:
- Financial Advisor
- Client Service
- Repeat steps seven through nine to add all team members and the advisor to ensure team completeness when reporting on team member assignments. Press Save when the team building is completed to finalize this change.
- The Automatically add my default entity team to entities that I create or entities that are transferred to me checkbox determines whether the team you define here will be applied to the advisor's new clients. This setting doesn't remove any existing team members from the team. It will only add new team members.
- The Update entity teams with these members checkbox determines whether the team you define will be applied to the advisor's existing clients. This setting doesn't remove any existing team members from the team. It will only add new team members.
- The Opportunity Access and Case Access columns refer to Salesforce functionality that Practifi doesn't support. The access levels defined in these columns do not affect system functionality within your organization.
Modifying a single client's team members
Changing team members only
To change team members assigned to a Client record, select the caret button located in the Servicing Team section in the side panel.
This button will display the following options to make updates to the Entity Team:
- Add Default Team - Takes the team members defined in the record owner's Default Entity Team and adds anyone missing from that list to the client's servicing team.
- Add Team Members - Displays a pop-up window that lets you manually add any team members you would like and define their roles.
- Team Member Access - Edits the team member's access to the records.
- Remove All Members - Removes all team members assigned to the client's Entity Team and gives a blank slate for adding new team members.
To delete a team member from the Entity Team, select the caret button located to the right of the team member's name and select Delete from the drop-down options. To edit the specific team member's role, select the caret button beside the team member's name and select Edit to modify the Team Role field.
Changing record owner and team members
Select the Change Owner action located in the side panel's button bar above the Servicing Team section.
When selecting this option there is a Keep servicing team checkbox in the option.
Checking this box will retain the existing team members alongside the new owner and any new team members added via their Default Team. Leaving this checkbox unchecked will remove the team members as a part of the owner transition.
Mass reassigning Entity Teams
Use the Mass Reassign Entity Teams feature, available to system administrators in Salesforce Setup, to add, remove or replace team members at scale.
To mass reassign Entity Teams:
- Select the Setup cog located in the upper right-hand corner and select Setup from the drop-down menu.
- Use the Quick Find search bar on the left-hand side to search for "Mass Reassign Entity Teams."
- Select the Mass Reassign Entity Teams option under the Data section in the search results.
- Select the type of change you would like to make. The options available are the following:
- Add an account team member
- Remove an account team member
- Replace an existing account team member with a new team member, or change the role of an existing team member.
- Define a set of filter criteria to determine which Entity records should have this change.
- Please note: Technically all Households, Organizations and Individuals in Practifi can have a team assigned, but the Servicing Team section is only made visible to Prospect and Client records. Therefore, we recommend filtering the Client Stage field by Prospect and Client and applying any additional filtering you wish beyond that.
- A list of Entities will display that match the filter criteria. Select the Entities from this list that you would like to apply the change to.
- Specify in the fields displayed in the final step of the update wizard the changes you would like made to these records.
- Select Add, Remove or Save to finalize the change.
Tracking Relationships via Business Roles
The Team Role field is used to indicate a Team Member's relationship to a Client, however, because that field can't be customized to a firm's specific setup, it often proves to be a flawed description. Practifi has introduced the Business Role field as a way for firms to apply an entirely custom set of descriptors to their team members, making it easy to know who's a Senior Financial Advisor, Secondary Client Service Rep and more.
Customizing Business Roles
Team Role values map directly onto the names of Practifi apps, which is important when determining what records to display to who and in which apps. Customizing these values would cause records that users expect to see to start disappearing from their apps. To address this issue, Business Roles have been left open for customization by each firm. To make changes to your business roles, do the following:
- From Salesforce Setup, go to Object Manager and select the Servicing Team Member object.
- From the Fields & Relationships section, open the Business Role field for editing. We've included a number of values by default, but there's no obligation to keep them.
- Users can add new values and deactivate existing ones as needed to get the right set of values for your firm.
Adding Business Roles
While business roles are inherently tied to the team role field, the column will need to be added to the Add Servicing Team Member menu. To enable the Business Role field on the Add Team Members window of a Client record, do the following:
- Navigate to the Salesforce Setup page by clicking the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the page (represented by ) and select Setup.
- Select the Object Manager tab.
- Use the Quick Find search bar to select the Entity Team Member menu.
- Select the Page Layouts menu, and edit the Account Team Member Layout.
- Once on the edit page, select the Edit Multi-Line Layout hyperlink.
- Move the Business Role field from the Available Fields section to Selected Fields.
Once we've added the Business Role field to the Add Entity Team Members menu, users will be able to define the more complicated roles that may be needed for your firm.
The Business Role field is a multi-select picklist, which allows you to select multiple Business Roles for a single team member. This is particularly important with Servicing Teams, as we use Salesforce's Account Teams feature to deliver this capability, and a limitation of that feature is you cannot add the same team member to a team multiple times.
Please note: Multi-select picklists come with certain additional limitations, which are detailed in the Trailhead link above. This limitation on grouping in reports & dashboards, however, is important to note: "In report results, or dashboards, multi-select picklist selections are grouped independently." To work around this limitation, we recommend creating a Lightning dashboard with one Table component per Business Role. These table components would each be linked to separate reports that use a contains query to specify an individual Business Role value and return all the matching team members grouped by Entity. You can then add dashboard filters to allow users to filter those Table components in real-time.
Using Business Roles in Process Tasks
Teams are now able to differentiate between which Servicing Team member gets a Process Task assigned to them. Simply choose Specify by Business Role as the Task's Assignment Type, and type out the desired Business Role as it appears in your picklist.
Feeling stuck on a particular question about servicing teams? Refer to the relevant Salesforce Help section for more information or reach out to our Support team by submitting a ticket.