Whether a relationship exists within a household or organization, such as family members or employees, or with external parties such as accountants and lawyers, capturing it in Practifi helps make your client and prospect profiles richer and more comprehensive. This article describes how to record and manage these relationships, as well as how to customise the relationship roles available for selection.
Where to find them
Members and other relationships can be accessed from the People & Relationships section on the record page for households and organizations. Because individuals cannot have members, they simply have a Relationships section. Here's the People & Relationships section of the Feldman household's record page:
The Members record table is currently visible, displaying a list of household members: Dirk the primary contact, his partner Anya, and Isabelle & Simon, their two children (dependents). Other relationships can be seen by opening the Relationships subtab, available below the section heading.
Whenever you need to add to the relationships currently captured, the New Member (households & organizations only) and New Relationship actions in the section heading walk you through the process.
This action supports linking existing individuals to the household or organization, as well as creating new ones on the fly. Choose your option, then either fill in the new individual's details or choose the existing one, define their role in the household or organization, then click Next to finish the process.
- By default, the available roles when creating a new member are:
- Partner (households only)
- Dependent (households only)
- Employee (organizations only)
- When searching for an existing individual to add as a member, you'll see households and organizations among the list of matching records. However, if you select one of these and attempt to save the member, you'll receive an error message.
This action is used for creating all external relationships with other parties, in the example above we're capturing Bradley Cooper Accounting as the accounting firm used by Dirk and Anya. The first screen lets you select whether the relationship is from another party to this one, or to another party from this one, and prefills either the top or bottom lookup field on the second screen depending on your selection.
- By default, the available roles when creating a new relationship are:
- There is currently no limitation on which roles can be assigned based on whether either party is a household, organization or individual, e.g. the Feldman household can be captured as the attorneys for the Montgomery household. Be sure to double-check your data before you enter it in; in particular, make sure you have the from and to parties around the right way.
- This action does not allow you to create new individuals, households or organizations, only link to existing ones.
Editing and deleting relationships
Unlike other records, Relationships don't have a record page directly accessible from a Practifi app. This is because the record is primarily there to connect two more households, organizations or individuals together, so when navigating the product these records just slow progress to your ultimate destination.
But there's some supplementary information about the relationship you might wish to include, such as a start date or description, and these can be accessed from the Edit action each record has in the Members and Relationships record tables:
Avoid these fields
While you can modify the From Entity, Relationship Type and To Entity fields from this page directly, it may cause the system to behave incorrectly, and we don't recommend it. If you need to modify one of these fields, instead we recommend deleting the relationship and creating a new one in its place.
Deleting records is available using the Delete action found in the same row menu (if you've been enabled to delete records by your system administrator).
To completely remove a member from their household or organization and treat them as a standalone individual, you will need to do more than remove the relationship to complete the process. Change the member's record type from Individual Member to Individual by clicking the icon found next to the Entity Record Type field in the System Information section of the Basics tab:
Customising the available roles
If your firm wants to either modify the existing roles presented in the drop-down menus or add their own, this can be managed from the Relationship Types page in the Settings app:
Each Relationship Type record looks like this:
The Name is the visible title the role has elsewhere in the system, and the Entity Type and Action Type fields determine where the role appears:
- Entity Type can be any combination of Household, Organization and Individual, and refers to the types of record pages where the role can appear.
- Action Type can be any combination of Member and Relationship, and refers to the types of record actions where the role can appear.