Your team members have goals and certain events that need to be completed in your firm's busy day-to-day. Using tasks and processes, these required steps to achieve your firm's goals can be completed efficiently and consistently.
What are tasks?
Tasks are the individual steps taken to complete your firm's work and are where you'll track your day-to-day operations. There are three ways that a task is typically created; as a standalone task on a client or service, as a new task within a process, or as a personal task for a team member. Standalone tasks on a client or service and personal tasks have the option to be either single or recurring, repeating on a weekly, monthly, or annual basis, giving flexibility in how your firm approaches both project and personal task management.
Tasks can also be delegated, assigned in the system to another team member to complete. Delegated tasks can be monitored by both the assigned team member and the original creator of the task to keep tasks from falling through the cracks.
Templates can be used to keep the firm consistent in its approach and actions and remove the potential for input errors. Default values and descriptions can be set through these task templates, and due date logic applied.
What are Processes?
A process is a workflow that assigns tasks to users automatically and creates a consistent approach to handling repeated tasks within your firm. Using processes to complete repeated tasks creates a seamless workflow as the individual steps are handed off between teams without any extra movement or nudging from users. It is important to note that tasks are the most basic way of managing your practice operations. Processes are a tool for your team members to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
Processes have been added to your Practifi instance to capture the most common tasks a firm may need to complete during their day-to-day operations. These processes can be managed, either modified or with new processes created, to better suit your firm's needs and workflows. Time spent on processes and who is making use of a process can be tracked through reporting to ensure efficiency and adoption in your firm.
A common process in a financial advice business is onboarding a new client. Within this process, there may be the following tasks:
- Receptionist to mail the client a welcome gift.
- Admin assistant to gather important client signatures.
- Assistant to send the client standard compliance documents, such as your financial services guide.
- Finance team to add the new client record to the billing system.
When a step in this process is completed, it progresses the process forward. For example, after the welcome gift is sent, the receptionist will mark the welcome gift step complete, and the admin assistant will be alerted that a task to gather client signatures is assigned to them.
Processes and tasks are typically completed as part of providing a service to your clients. By linking processes and tasks to services, you can track the profitability of providing your services to a client.
Creating a task
To create a task, navigate to the household, individual, or organization and select the Activities button on the record side panel, highlighted in the screenshot below.
Under Activities, navigate to the New Task tab, where the task details can be documented.
Details available on this page include:
- The task's subject is logged in this space. It should be something concise but descriptive, so the nature of the task is captured. For example, "Prepare signing documents."
- The task's due date is entered in this field. Clicking on this space will open a calendar to manually select the date to enter the date into this field.
- Name is where the specific contact in a household or organization that the task relates to is designated. For example, entering Peter Oliveri's in this field relates to only him instead of both Peter and Tina Oliveri. For an individual, this field will default to filling their name in.
- Related to is where the household, individual, or organization that the task is related to is entered. This will auto-populate with the record name that you are currently viewing but can be modified if needed.
- Designate who is to complete this task in the Assigned to field, either yourself or another member of your firm.
- Set the task status with this field; statuses included are not started, in progress, completed, waiting on someone else, and deferred.
Viewing tasks and processes
Depending on your Practifi app context, tasks can be viewed through the At a Glance tiles available on the home page for getting a quick snapshot of overdue tasks or tasks due soon. Clicking on the tile will open a table displaying information about the task. Click on the subject of the task to open the task in a separate workspace tab to view the task in greater detail.
Processes and tasks specific to a household, individual, or organization can be viewed by navigating to the record side panel and selecting Processes & Tasks, highlighted in teal in the screenshot below.
This will open a table on the right-hand side of the screen with all the household, organization, or individual tasks. Toggle between the sub-tabs to view either processes or tasks.
On this table, there are features for viewing and editing the tasks and processes. These include:
- Use filters to narrow down the tasks or processes' results by selecting a task's status, such as progress or not started or due date.
- Search the table using the search bar to find a specific task or process quickly. This search bar will search all fields displaying on the table.
- Export the table to a CSV for viewing in Excel or for using with Salesforce DataLoader. Selecting Export as CSV will export the table as it is currently viewed, including any filters or searches that are applied.
- Edit or delete a task by selecting this arrow dropdown in the furthest right-hand column on the table. Then select either edit to open a pop-up with the task or process details for editing or delete to remove it from the table and your system.